Using the Ribbon with VB.Net

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:31 PM
Great control!

Has anyone been able to successfully use the control in VB.Net? I added the DLL to the project, but none of the features renders in VS. If I run the project, everything shows up fine. Makes it hard to position everything without seeing it in the editor. Another related question, can I include the C# code inside a VB.Net project?
Aug 19, 2009 at 5:27 AM

I have gotten it to work and here is how I did it.

1. Part 1
    1. Open the System.Windows.Forms.Ribbon project
    2. Open th Project properties page and select Signing
    3. Check Sign the assembly, then select New...
    4. Provide a name; the IDE will provide the file extension
    5. Click OK
    6. Build the project, then close
  2. Part 2
    1. Open your project
    2. Add a reference to the file that was just built ( My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\System.Windows.Forms.Ribbon\System.Windows.Forms.Ribbon\bin\Release)
    3. Right click in the toolbox and select Choose Items
    4. Scroll through the .NET tab; there should be 16 items in the list starting with the word Ribbon.  If they are there, check them.  If they are not, then click browse, go the the file from number 2.2 above, and open it, THEN check them.
    5. You should now have the ribbon items under General.

Signing seems to be necessary as when I first put this in my project, it returned an error saying "Unable to emit assembly: Referenced assembly 'System.Windows.Forms.Ribbon' does not have a strong name.  So you sign it with your own Strong Name Key (SNK).  I have not yet tried running my program (an office add-in) on someone elses computer yet, so I don't know if this is tied to my computer, my user account, both, neither.  A Microsoft KB article talking about the SN.exe tool (strong naming) spoke of the key locking the assembly to a computer or user name.

Either way, This will at the very least get you started.  If necessary, later you can rebuild the assembly with some other options to make it work elsewhere (assuming this locks it as above).

Cory

Developer
May 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Hi, a new version of Ribbon is released. Please visit the new site for latest fixes, releases, information and downloads.
New site: http://officeribbon.codeplex.com/